USING BARE-ROOT AND ROOTSTOCK SEEDLINGS FROM NATURAL REGENERATION OF CEDRELA FISSILIS

Main Article Content

Thomas Schroder Anna Paula Lora Zimmermann Lílian Daniel Pereira Noé dos Santos Ananias Hofiço Dilson Sousa Rocha Júnior Frederico Dimas Fleig Evandro Alcir Meyer

Abstract

The success of forest creation relies on seedling availability and quality. The aim of this research is to assess the possible use of rootstock and bare-root seedlings of Cedrela fissilis obtained from natural regeneration for direct field planting. We used Generalized Linear models to assess survival and Hierarchical Models to assess height growth over one year after planting. Initial root-collar diameter (RCD) and treatment (rootstock or bare-root) affected survival and growth. Rootstock and larger seedlings presented higher levels of survival and growth. Higher seedling quality in the rootstock treatment is due to higher water stress tolerance. Rootstock seedlings with more than 1 cm of initial RCD had over 80% of survival probability, while small bare-root seedlings had mean survival probability as low as 20%. Rootstock seedlings grew as much as fourfold more than bare-root. Using natural regeneration of C. fissilis as a source of rootstock seedlings may be a cheap alternative for forest restoration and enrichment planting projects.

Article Details

How to Cite
SCHRODER, Thomas et al. USING BARE-ROOT AND ROOTSTOCK SEEDLINGS FROM NATURAL REGENERATION OF CEDRELA FISSILIS. CERNE, [S.l.], v. 22, n. 3, p. 309-316, oct. 2016. ISSN 2317-6342. Available at: <http://cerne.ufla.br/site/index.php/CERNE/article/view/1320>. Date accessed: 16 sep. 2019.
Keywords
Tree planting technique, Growth, Survival, Wildlings
Section
Article